Friday, December 7, 2007

:: la fée verte ::

The stuff of legend, recently attainable without having to pay fifty bucks to have it shipped surreptitiously as an undervalued "beverage" from the UK -- although, really, going to the post office to sign for a package containing nothing but alcohol is pretty amusing despite not being able to tell anyone there what you're doing (and trying not to giggle when the guy at the window next to you is turned away for trying to mail some scotch).

Yes, so. Absinthe. I do like anise, and in fact really like this anise toothpaste a lot. And my burgeoning drink-snob streak appreciates the easier availability of an important ingredient. Wednesday my boss handed me this article in the NYT to read, and I am really excited to try this new one! I also appreciated an article in a major publication that was not fixated on the mistruths and sensationalism the topic can engender.

My boss, in fact, is becoming a bit of an absinthe fiend himself. We do a monthly champagne-and-cheese event at the shop, and last month I brought my bottle of Nouvelle-Orléans so I could make a Death in the Afternoon for my boss. He really dug it, and the next week when I went to the wine/gourmet shop down the road (they have great takeaway sandwiches) I saw they'd just gotten some Lucid in. So I gave him a bottle as an early Hanukkah gift. Apparently the bottle is half-finished now.

Another good article published this week, here.
The Wormwood Society

Next: designing some really cool absinthe spoons in sterling... Should be fun!

No comments: