Wednesday, April 21, 2010

christmas goose

2 oz Bols Genever
1/2 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin
1/2 oz Benedictine
3 dash Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

For my third drink at the Bols Genever event last Thursday at the Franklin Southie, I ordered Franklin bartender Peter Cipriani's offering, the Christmas Goose. The drink started with a malty smell and I was quite surprised at how the drink was not too sweet given the other ingredients. The flavor was full of Christmas spice with berry notes on the sip, and herbal notes from the bitters, Benedictine, and Genever on the swallow. Despite the name, it is a drink that would work for any season.
Pictured behind my Christmas Goose cocktail is a bowl filled with the punch created by LUPEC Boston's own Pink Lady. In theory, the recipe reminded me a lot of a Hemingway Daiquiri, but my cup was a bit more intense than I remember Papa's Daiquiri recipe tasting. I did not have a chance to ask Ms. Pink Lady whether she modeled the recipe after the strawberry-flavored non-boozy Princess Punch that is often served at children's birthday parties.
La Principessa Punch
• 1 liter Bols Genever
• 2 cup Lime Juice
• 2 cup Grapefruit Juice
• 1 1/4 cup Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
• 1 bag Frozen Strawberries
Pour all ingredients into a punch bowl. Add ice ring to chill.

No comments: