Thursday, August 12, 2010

tony montana

2 oz Pyrat Rum
3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1 barspoon Benedictine
3 dash Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry and an orange twist.

After leaving my second locale on my birthday bar crawl, I headed down Mass Ave and over the bridge into Cambridge. Once in the heart of Central Square, I considered my options. I was not sure if my birthday celebration state was proper for Rendezvous or Craigie on Main once the last of Clio's libations had entered my blood stream. I was tempted to visit Derric at Green Street and order a Peanut Malt Flip in order to get a laugh, but I figured that a small breather would be best. Therefore, I continued my walk from Commonwealth Ave all the way to Inman Square on the way home to Winter Hill. When I was passing by Trina's Starlite Lounge, I peeked in the window to the parlor and spotted Emma Hollander at the stick and a few open seats at the bar. At that point, I knew that I had found my third destination for my crawl, and I gave Andrea a call to invite her to join me (she had been working at the Boston Shaker all day).
The drink I chose was one that I had wanted to try ever since Lauren Clark wrote about it in DrinkBoston, namely the Tony Montana. Lauren wrote about it along side Eastern Standard's Frobisher on the trend of "bad guy"-named cocktails. Here, Al Pacino's character in Scarface is honored by way of a rum Preakness-style cocktail. The Tony Montana's aroma was strong with orange oil and hints of the Pyrat Rum poking through. The sip was an elegant balance of the richness of the rum and the complexity of the Carpano Antica and Benedictine. Indeed, this drink was a fine way to cap off my birthday bar crawl, and many thanks to the bartenders at Eastern Standard, Clio, and Trina's for making it all possible!

No comments: