Thursday, April 14, 2011

daily mail

25% Benedictine (3/4 oz)
50% Gin (1 1/2 oz Cascade Mountain)
25% Lemon Juice (3/4 oz)
1 dash Orange Curaçao (1 barspoon Senior Curaçao)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

The other drink I had last Friday night was the Daily Mail from the 1937 UKBG Approved Cocktails. With the tartness of lemon juice balancing the sweetness of Benedictine, the recipe reminded me of a gin-based Frisco Sour with the inclusion of Angostura Bitters and a dash of orange liqueur. Thinking back, the Daily Mail was closer to the gin-based Monk that we made back in 2007; I found that recipe on CocktailDB but never spotted elsewhere (it probably is in my Stan Jones' Complete Bar Guide though). My tasting notes on the Monk were "rather tasty and intriguingly complex."
The Daily Mail's sip was lemony with a hint of orange and was not tart due to the sugar content in the Benedictine liqueur. The Benedictine also donated to the swallow where its flavors mingled with the gin. Overall, the Benedictine added a nice level of complexity that was balanced by the gin's brightness. Without the Frisco Sour's rye whiskey's roughness and spice, the Daily Mail went in a very different direction with the gin.

3 comments:

Rowen said...

Really must try that one. (Suitably colored accompaniment to an orange cat.)

The Suicide Kid said...

I made this with G.Marnier instead of as the Curaçao (which I tend to do in most of my old school drinks). What a tasty cocktail!

frederic said...

The lemon-Benedictine combination is definitely a winner, whether paired with rye, gin, or brandy (I'm not sure I've had it with other spirits) and is somewhat common in classic recipes.