Monday, May 23, 2011

19th century swizzle

1 1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Orgeat
2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Swizzle with ice in a tall glass. Mist the top with 4 spritzes of Tiki Bitters, garnish with 2 brandied cherries, and add straw.

As I was finishing up my New Jersey Flip, Eastern Standard was beginning to fill up quickly. I, therefore, decided to abandon my bar stool and continue my bar crawl by traveling to the opposite side of Fenway Park to the Citizen Public House. There, I found a seat and was greeted by bartender Tony Makayev. Tony explained that Saturdays were not his normal shift, but the other bartenders were at the Manhattan Cocktail Classic and he volunteered to fill in. After discussing the various new drinks on the menu, Tony steered me toward the 19th Century Swizzle created by bar manager Joy Richard. With Smith & Cross and Green Chartreuse, I was quickly drawn in.
The brandied cherries and Tiki Bitters garnishing the drink set the tone by providing most of the initial aroma to the Swizzle. Next, a caramel and lime flavor filled the sip, and this was followed by Chartreuse, orgeat, and the Smith & Cross' funk note on the swallow. Moreover, the pineapple appeared as a lingering note to pleasantly round off the drink. While the 19th Century Swizzle was rather good, it was a little bit on the sweet side for me and perhaps toning down the orgeat to a 1/4 oz would allow the Chartreuse notes to come a bit more forward. Otherwise, I was not disappointed.

No comments: