Wednesday, January 25, 2012

polo

2/3 jigger Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Sazerac 6 Year)
1/4 jigger Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat)
1 dash Maraschino Liqueur (1/4 oz Maraska)
1 dash Apricot Liqueur (1/4 oz Rothman & Winter)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I garnished with a Luxardo Maraschino cherry.

Two Mondays ago for a nightcap, I began perusing Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 when I spotted the Polo cocktail. While I have had and written about numerous horse racing-themed drinks, I have never had one in honor of this lesser spoke of equestrian event. In addition, the recipe reminded me of the Brooklyn with the Amer Picon swapped out here for apricot liqueur and orange bitters.
The Polo began with a rye and Maraschino aroma that led into a malty sip modified with orange notes. On the swallow, the rye was joined by the Maraschino and apricot; interestingly, the apricot functioned to modify the Maraschino more than standing out as a distinctive flavor.

No comments: