Friday, June 8, 2012

st. bruno swizzle

1 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Build over crushed ice and swizzle to mix and chill. Float 1/2 oz Plantation Barbados 5 Year Rum and 2 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters, and add a straw.

As I was drinking my Carroll Gardens at Hawthorne, the place began filling up. I did not figure that anything was unusual for there were only a handful of places open that Memorial Day night, and people looking for a tipple might seek out the hotel bars for their reliable service regardless of the calendar. Once food started coming out to the people around me, I looked to the kitchen and noticed chef Marc Sheehan and realized that the Brasstacks pop-up dinner at the Hawthorne was that night. Despite the dinner going on all around me, the bar continued chugging along although the bartenders were busy at times making cocktail pairings for some of the diners. For my next drink, Scott Marshall mentioned that he had a few Swizzles that he had been working on, and the one that appealed to me was based off the Chartreuse Milk Punch that he had perfected while at Drink. With the Batavia Arrack, Chartreuse, and citrus, it did remind me of Ted Kilpatrick's Swamp Water Fix, so I was definitely game for it. The St. Bruno in the drink name refers to the founder of the Carthusian Order who established the enclosed monastic society in 1084; the Carthusian monks did not start producing their famous Chartreuse liqueurs until several centuries later in the 1740s.
The St. Bruno Swizzle offered up a chocolate aroma that was paired with caramel notes from the aged rum. The citrussy sip preceded the funky Batavia Arrack flavors, the Green Chartreuse herbal notes, and the Yellow Chartreuse savory ones. At the end, instead of the drink drying out from the floated bitters, it got pleasantly chocolaty.

2 comments:

Tiare said...

Gonna try this now and write about it...looks so tasty.

JP said...

This is such a great drink, given the green chartreuse shortage I used Boomsma, which works as well and is a touch sweeter.