Monday, July 30, 2012

unicorn blood

1 1/2 oz Patrón Añejo Tequila
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/4 oz Benedictine
3 dash Peychaud’s Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Wednesdays ago, Andrea and I went to Trina's Starlite Lounge for dinner. For a first drink, I requested the humorously named Unicorn Blood from the menu. With aged tequila, aromatized wine, Benedictine, and bitters, it reminded me of their rum-based Tony Montana that I tried two years ago there. Bartender Beau Sturm described how many bartenders have a hard time making añejo tequila shine, but this combination created by Patrick Gaggiano really pleased him.
The Unicorn Blood presented a tequila aroma and offered up a light citrus sip. On the swallow, the tequila-herbal Bénédictine pairing worked rather well and was complemented by the anise notes of the Peychaud's Bitters. Moreover, I got a chocolate note from the Benedictine that fit in splendidly with these flavors.

2 comments:

beau said...

Our bartender, Patrick Gaggiano came up with the Unicorn Blood (for the record)

frederic said...

Thanks! I've updated the post.