Tuesday, August 14, 2012

smoky

2 oz Del Maguey Mezcal Vida
3/4 oz Walnut Orgeat
1 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Zucca

Roll with ice and pour into a Collins glass. Add a straw.

After dinner at Helmand, Andrea and I wandered over to Hungry Mother for a drink. Even though I knew it was coming, I lamented how Hungry Mother got rid of their numbering system of drinks in favor of descriptors. To sooth that, I asked bartender Ned Greene for the Smoky.
The Smoky lived up to its name by greeting the senses with a smoke aroma that contained herbal notes from the Zucca and perhaps from the housemade orgeat as well. Next, the Zucca's wine note paired well with the bitter walnut on the sip, and the mezcal and Zucca's herbal flavors rounded out the swallow. My notes make no reference to the grapefruit, so it must have worked more in a supportive way to hold the drink together.

No comments: