Thursday, June 6, 2013

small dinger

1/2 oz Gibley's Gin (1 oz Tanqueray)
1/4 oz Bacardi Rum (1/2 oz Caliche, 1 dash Vale d'Paul)
1/4 oz Grenadine (1/2 oz)
1/4 oz Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass filled with crushed ice. I used a small rocks glass and garnished with a mint sprig.

Two Saturdays ago, I was browsing Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink and spotted the amusingly named Small Dinger. Underneath was the caption, "Big or small, it's a humdinger, and it's from the Florida Bar in Havana." To mimic the older style of Cuban rum, I reached for a bottle of white Puerto Rican rum and accented it with a small amount of grassy rhum agricole-like spirit. The split spirit, grenadine, and lemon format reminded me of the Three Mile Limit and the Blue Skies, and with the success of the White House the night before, I decided to garnish again with mint.
Without the mint, the Small Dinger offered a juniper and funky rum aroma, and after I garnished with the sprig, only the rum poked through the fresh mint nose. A lemon and pomegranate sip gave way to a grassy, juniper, and herbal swallow. Even if size allegedly does not matter, I was glad that I doubled the recipe of this particular libation.

2 comments:

uberwrensch said...

An observation and questions.

I didn't have the named Bacardi, subbed Flor de Cana + Neisson rhum agricole, so that may have much to do with the still very juniper forward taste I experienced. This despite the gads of mint garnish I used :) Naturally, it became less gin-y as the drink went on.

Not to say I disliked it, quite the contrary.

What is Vale d'Paul?

And I'm curious to know why/how your pictured version could be so horchata milky white when it contains 1/2 oz of grenadine? I'm just using homemade (from POM) and my drink was decidedly tinged.

Thanks,
Song

frederic said...

I think the pinky-white color is an artifact of flash photography. Egg drinks and crushed ice drinks look very different.

Vale d' Paul Aguardiente Nove de Santo Antao is a Cape Verdean rum that is made on volcanic soil using freshly pressed sugar cane juice. Since the terroir conditions and weather as well as process are similar to rhum agricole from Martinique, the end result has overlapping character. It is funkier than agricole so it is perfect when you want a little to go a long way.

The same company also makes a Ponche and a tamarind liqueur. Luckily, we have an importer in town and an evangelist (Stephen Shellenberger, a bartender at Pomodoro in Brookline and writer for the Boston Apothecary blog and active on eGullet) as well.