Tuesday, August 13, 2013

use your words

1 oz House Rum Blend (*)
1 oz Maraschino Liqueur
1 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 barspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
(*) Equal parts El Dorado 12 Year and a white Puerto Rican rum

For my second drink at Sycamore, I gave the suggestion of an equal parts drink to bartender Scott Shoer. He thought for a moment and then remembered a recipe created by Rob Iurilli when they both worked at Abigail's in Cambridge. The recipe was a rum-based riff on the Last Word that also included a fifth element -- a dash of allspice dram.
The Maraschino liqueur notes filled the aroma along with a hint of lemon juice. The lemon took prominence in the sip though along with the Maraschino's cherry flavor. On the swallow, the rum joined the Maraschino's nutty and Yellow Chartreuse's herbal flavors; finally, the swallow ended with an allspice finish that build up after successive swallows.

2 comments:

SteveL said...

Tried this for my evening cocktail (last evening was a Final Ward). I really enjoyed the difference that the Yellow Chartreuse brought to the cocktail. On the other hand, I found that the allspice dram brought a bit muddyness to the party. In my opinion, allspice dram in a smaller proportion (or citrus in a larger proportion) would be more appealing.

Carol said...

I found the touch of allspice so tantalizing that I plan to carefully up it a notch next time. Loved the luminescent color of this Last Word variation. It’s a keeper.