Tuesday, October 8, 2013

shadows & tall trees

2 oz Four Roses Bourbon
1 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Nocino Walnut Liqueur
1/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a Double Old Fashioned glass filled with fresh ice cubes. Garnish with an orange twist and add straws.

Two weeks or so ago during one of my dinner shifts at Russell House Tavern, a guest asked for an old house classic, the Wigglesworth. When I explained that we did not have the requisite apple-cinnamon syrup, she put her faith in me to craft "Fall in a glass" using a similar Bourbon base. As I thought about my autumnal walks to and from work, I thought of the tall walnut trees that have been dropping their finger-staining fruits along the sidewalk; moreover, I considered the change from green to earthier aromas in the air. Working with the Bourbon, I opted for sweet vermouth to make a sort of Manhattan-like rift. With the walnut trees and earthier aromas in mind, I included Nocino and Cynar, respectively. And to tie it all back to the Wigglesworth, I added a bit of spice notes from Angostura Bitters and the cinnamon syrup we have on hand for a few of the current menu items.
The orange twist added fresh citrus notes over the Bourbon and hints of dark nuttiness and cinnamon spice. A sweet malt and grape sip led into a Bourbon swallow with rounded dark bitterness and a cinnamon finish. Amy from Delaware was so pleased with this drink that she ordered a second one and convinced a gentleman to her left to order the third Shadows & Tall Trees of the evening.

No comments: