Thursday, June 12, 2014

giuseppe's lady

1 1/4 oz St. George Terroir Gin
1/2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top.
Two Sundays ago, Andrea and I finally made it over to Brookline Village to visit Fairsted Kitchen. For a first drink, I asked bartender Alex Homans about the Giuseppe's Lady. Alex described how it was bartender Will Isaza's drink and as a cross between a Little Giuseppe and a Pink Lady. Originally, the recipe was invented with Ransom's Old Tom Gin, but they soon discovered that St. George's Terroir Gin melded better with the flavor profile here. Alex's commentary on the drink was that the Giuseppe's Lady was "a Cosmo that goes on a spirit journey in the woods." Once mixed, the Giuseppe's Lady shared a floral and lemon oil aroma. A caramel, lime, and pomegranate sip released to reveal a juniper, Angostura spice, and herbal Cynar swallow.

1 comment:

AJL said...

Coincidentally, I had tried the previous day's cocktail, using St. George Terroir, which is what I had on hand, rather than the Dry Rye. Lo and behold, the next day's recipe actually called for Terroir, so I made this too.

I found giuseppi's lady outstanding: the way the flavors evolved, from cynar to pomegranate and then the herbaceous qualities of the gin coming through toward the finish. Remarkably balanced, refreshing and nuanced, this is one of the better cocktails I've had in a good while. Full disclosure: I added just a touch more lime juice, as I don't prefer overly sweet drinks; it seemed just right. YMMV