Wednesday, May 6, 2015

the idle class

1 oz Aged Rum (Plantation 5 Year Barbados)
1 oz Dry Madeira (Blandy's 5 Year Verdelho) (*)
1 oz Ramazzotti Amaro
1 barspoon Orange Liqueur (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao)
2 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
(*) Sercial or Verdelho would work best. Read more about Madeira styles here.

Two Mondays ago, I began to ponder what I could make with the new bottle at work, Amaro Ramazzotti. Looking through the various Ramazzotti recipes on the blog, I honed in on Ben Dougherty's Chaplin that he created at ZigZag in Seattle. I first learned of the Chaplin when Katie Emmerson at the Hawthorne made me Alex Day's riff La Viña from Death & Co. From the original, I took the Bourbon and dry sherry and swapped them for aged rum and dry Madeira and kept everything else the same. For a name, I dubbed this one The Idle Class after one of Charlie Chaplin's movies from 1921.
The Idle Class began with a lemon oil aroma over a dark grape note at first that later became more candied orange. The amaro and rum's caramel came through on the swallow along with a dry grape element, and the swallow showcased the rum, orange, and more caramel flavors with a clean, high acid finish.

No comments: