Sunday, October 11, 2015

manhattan transfer

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye
1 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1 oz Ramazzotti Amaro
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

For my post-work drink two Fridays ago, I turned to the stirred whiskey section of the Death & Co. Cocktail Book and found Phil Wards 2008 creation, the Manhattan Transfer. The proportions reminded me of the 3:2:2 Boulevardier in Harry McElhone's 1927 Barflies and Cocktails with Ramazzotti instead of Campari as well as changes in the whiskey and vermouth identities. Moreover, it seemed perfect for my down-and-brown (wait, it's up-and-brown here) drink mood.
The Manhattan Transfer presented a whiskey and dark orange bouquet to the nose. Dry malts and caramel on the sip gave way to a rye swallow laden with cola-orange notes.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

ha, "up and brown". if anyone could make me go out and find a new (to me) amaro (ramazotti) it is Death and Co. AKA the book that is my spirit animal.