Monday, November 28, 2016

sooner or later

1 1/2 oz La Favorite Vieux Rhum Agricole (Depaz)
1 1/2 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth (Alessio)
1/4 oz Cafe Moka (Galliano Ristretto)
10 drop Bittermens Tiki Bitters (Bittercube Jamaican #2)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with orange oil.
Two Mondays ago, I was in the mood for something stirred and elegant, and I remembered a recipe from Nick Detrich that I had spotted on the Barnotes app website. Nick created the Sooner or Later recipe a few years ago for "a special menu at Bellocq featuring R(h)um," and the combination made me think of a coffee-tinged Rhum Martinez or perhaps Presidente riff. Once built, the Sooner or Later produced an orange oil and coffee aroma with hints of grape. The grape continued into the sip, and the swallow combined grassy rhum and dark roasted coffee flavors with a spice-driven finish. Overall, it reminded me of a cousin of the rum-based Coffee Negroni

No comments: