Sunday, April 2, 2017

hell in the atlantic

1 1/2 oz Blandy's 5 Year Sercial Madeira (*)
1/2 oz Blandy's 5 Year Malmsey Madeira (*)
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1/4 oz Bittermens Grenadine
1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake briefly with a few ice cubes, strain into a tulip glass, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with Tiki intent and add a straw.
(*) 2 oz of Bual or Verdelho would sub here for both Madeiras.
For drink of the day at Loyal Nine two Sundays ago, I wanted to do a low proof riff on a classic Tiki drink by substituting the rums for Madeiras as I have done for my Zombie riff The Island of Lost Souls and other drinks. Since Madeira often pairs rather well with Maraschino liqueur, I honed in my search that way and selected the Hell in the Pacific as my starting point. I also included some of the spice elements from Randy Wong's riff Helen the Pacific. Since the island of Madeira is off the western coast of Africa, it made sense to change the name to Hell in the Atlantic. Overall, the end result was a complex fruit combination with nutty and spice notes from the Maraschino and allspice dram, respectively.

No comments: