Friday, July 7, 2017

majestic

2/3 Spey Royal Scotch (1 1/2 oz Pig's Nose)
2 dash Dry Vermouth (3/4 oz Noilly Prat)
2 dash Maraschino (3/8 oz Luxardo)
1 dash Picon Bitters (3/8 oz Torani Amer)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Fridays ago, I decided to make a recipe that I had spotted the night before in the whisk(e)y section of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 book. The Majestic read in my mind like a Scotch Brooklyn, and I was game to see how changing the rye to something barley and smoky would effect things. Once prepared, the Majestic gave forth a Scotch and dark orange nose. Next, malt, caramel, and a hint of cherry on the sip was followed by Scotch, nutty, and bitter orange notes on the swallow. While similar in flavors, the Majestic's Scotch backbone took the drink in a different direction than my go-to Brooklyn spirit of Old Overholt (I find Rittenhouse to be too domineering and distracting) given the sharper notes.

No comments: