Sunday, September 3, 2017

rattlesnake cocktail

4 glass Rye Whiskey (2 oz Old Overholt)
Whites 2 Egg (1 Egg White)
1 glass Sweetened Lemon Juice (1/2 oz Lemon Juice + 1/2 oz Simple Syrup)
A few dashes Absinthe (1/4 oz Kübler)

Shake once with and once with ice; strain into a cocktail glass. I added a snake-like lemon twist.

Two Sundays ago, I decided to make the Rattlesnake Cocktail from The Savoy Cocktail Book. I had spotted the drink referenced in another book, I realized that I had never had one despite having a riff of it in the Rattlesnake Fizz. The Savoy provided the naming back history of "so called because it will either cure Rattlesnake bite, or kill Rattlesnakes, or make you see them." Are rattlesnakes the new pink elephants? I only had one of these scaled down from the original's build for 6, so no telling if that is the case.
The Rattlesnake Cocktail provided a lemon and rye bouquet to the nose that preceded a creamy malt and lemon sip. Finally, the swallow began with rye and ended with the absinthe's anise and other botanicals on the finish.

No comments: