Friday, October 27, 2017

andy shandy

1 oz Gin (Hayman's Royal Dock)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 Egg White

Shake once without and once with ice, strain into a Fizz glass (with 2 oz Two Roads Ok2berfest beer), and top with amber ale (1/2 oz more). I added a lemon twist as garnish.

Two Fridays ago, I opened up A Spot at the Bar and happened upon the Andy Shandy in the beer section of the book. The recipe was crafted by Alastair Walker at the Everleigh in Melbourne, and it reminded me of a Skip & Go Naked with egg white in the mix. I learned about that classic when I crafted a beer-for-Champagne French 75 that I dubbed the Dutch 75; I called it that for I used left over Heineken Light for the impoverished-thinking Mixology Monday 36 "Hard Drinks for Hard Times," and Dagreb alerted me to the similarity. Instead of the lager in the Skip & Go Naked, Walker called for an amber ale, and I answered that request with a local amber Oktoberfest-style beer.
The Andy Shandy gave forth a lemon and floral aroma. Next, a creamy sip shared lemon and malt notes, and the swallow presented juniper blending into hops and a sour grain note from the beer.

No comments: