Thursday, October 12, 2017

commando bird

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Campari
1 1/2 oz Doctor Bird or Plantation Original Dark Rum (Plantation Dark)

Shake with crushed ice and pour into a glass (shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, and fill with crushed ice). I garnished with nasturtium flowers and added a straw.

Two Thursdays ago, I decided to make a drink that I had spotted on El_Nova_1's Instagram called the Commando Bird. The drink is a Jungle Bird riff crafted by Jason Alexander (a/k/a the Tiki Commando) of the Tacoma Cabana and Rum Bar. Here, the main variance from the late 1970s classic is that the simple syrup was switched to passion fruit syrup. Given how well Campari and passion fruit pair such as in the Novara, I was definitely intrigued. Moreover, the drink reminded me of the Urban Bird that I collaborated on for a drink of the day that swapped the classic's pineapple juice and simple syrup for orange juice and passion fruit syrup, and also the Aperol and gin 'I'iwi Bird came to mind.
In the mug, the Commando Bird donated a peppery floral aroma from my choice of nasturtium blossom garnish. Next, lime, pineapple, and a tropical note from the passion fruit filled the sip, and the swallow showcased the dark rum and the Campari-passion fruit bitter tropical flavors.

No comments: